Hoy el Shanghai Daily me ha deleitado con una noticia a la altura de lo que espero leer cuando recorro su web.
Waldorf Astoria cleared in food poisoning case
THERE was not enough evidence to support a food poisoning allegation a couple made after dozens of their wedding banquet guests became ill this month after eating at the Waldorf Astoria Shanghai on the Bund, the Huangpu District Market Supervision Bureau said late last night.
Officials did say a dish the couple suspected of causing the sickness of at least 45 guests was listed as pan-fried Australian beef with fungus in English on the menu. The dish’s Chinese name was listed as Kobe beef. This, as a false advertisement, misled customers, the bureau said.
Dalian Shanzheng Food Co supplied the beef.
Beef imports from Japan have been banned since 2001, thus any so-called Kobe beef in the market is either illegal or from somewhere else. Shanghai’s food safety office has ordered a citywide check to make sure there is no Kobe beef in the market.
The hotel didn’t report to the authority immediately after learning of the possible food poisoning case, the bureau said, adding on its microblog that the Waldorf faces punishment upon completion of its investigation.
The hotel said yesterday that it had never imported beef from Japan and the use of «Kobe beef» was to indicate the meat’s high quality. It added that is has since removed all reference to Kobe beef on its menus.
The couple invited nearly 150 guests to their wedding banquet on March 1. They said some guests and relatives started to experience vomiting, diarrhea and fevers within a couple of days after the banquet. Twelve people including the bridegroom had to get hospital treatment.
The bride complained to the hotel on March 3 and called the Shanghai Food and Drug Administration on March 7.